Alex's picture

Alex's picture
Qing FuHai (taken in late June)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Transition

Well, tomorrow will mark the one week point of arriving home.  The transition hasn't been easy.  Alex has been very clingy since we've been home.  That is making it very hard on me when I am home alone with both boys.  Sam is such an energetic little 2 year old that he hardly stays in the same place for more than a few minutes at a time and then he is on to his next adventure.   I'm finding it hard to keep up with him while having to hold Alex constantly.  Alex was such a happy, laid back boy in China...but his adjustment here has been hard on him.  He adjusted to his new sleep schedule very quickly (only took a few nights) so that is a relief.  I talked to our adoption counselor about his change in behavior and she confirmed that this is pretty normal behavior.  She said I should just try and comfort him as much as I can right now.  She said when he starts feeling more secure in his environment..the clinginess will go away.  So, for now - I am spending much of the day wearing an infant carrier with him attached to the front of me.   They also reminded me that he is just scared because everything is new to him.   New people, new smell, new sounds, new surroundings, new family.  That helped me to remember that his world was turned upside down and to think of it from his little standpoint instead of thinking about how inconvienced I am and how hard this is on me.  So, we would appreciate your prayers for Alex to become accustomed to his new life quickly and for patience and compassion for our family as  we adjust.    Sam is a great big brother.  He helps me give Alex his bottle every morning.  He also loves to go in with me and get him up from his nap.    There have even been times when he will ask with genuine concern "baby Alex...baby Alex?"  when he doesn't see him around.  He has such a sweet temperment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment